Of course, Top 10 Tuesday would go on a hiatus at the time when I wanted to get involved! No fear though, while the creator of T10T over at The Broke and the Bookish may be on a break, people are still participating with their own topics in the mean time! I’ve decided to do the same topic as the lovely Kate (Reading Through Infinity) this week, who exposed me to T10T in the first place, on “Top 10 Graphic Novels to read in 2017”. I really love graphic novels and have some amazzzzzinnggggg ones on my TBR list that I want to share with you all!
- The Wicked and the Divine – I have heard nothing but rave reviews about this, and have been waiting to read it for about 2 years now!
- Saga Vol. 2 – A client I was dog sitting for let me read her copy of Vol. 1 which I devoured in under an hour. Can’t wait to read Vol. 2.
- Beyond: The Queer Sci-Fi and Fantasy Anthology – My friend got me a copy of this and I am soooooo excited to read it. It looks amazing with a beautifully diverse array of queer characters.
- Palestine by Joe Sacco – Palestine is an amazing graphic novel, but I could only read half of it before it was due back at the library. A must read for everyone!
- Moonshot: The Indigenous Comics Collection Vol. 1 & 2 – I backed the Vol. 2 kickstarter a year ago and recently got both e-reader editions a few months ago. It features stunning artwork and stories from indigenous people across North America, told in this collection with permission from tribal elders. I was sad we couldn’t get the hardback copy as it’s such a beautiful and important collection, but I’m really looking forward to diving into this.
- Rat Queens Vol. 3 – My partner bought me the first edition a few years ago as a Valentine’s Day present and I loved it so much. I’m a massive fan of the Rat Queens, a badass set of diverse ladies who kick monsters ass’ and hold nothing back.
- Nightlights – This was suggested to be on Goodreads a while back and I couldn’t resist adding it due to its adorable cover and story.
- Notes on a Thesis – Spotted at the Radical Book Fair 2017 in London, I laughed out loud at the relatability of this (even if I haven’t done a PhD)!
- Drowned City: Hurricane Katrina & New Orleans – An award-winning graphic novel about the devastation of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, and tells the tale of the courage of the survivors and the racism embedded in the response.
- Lumberjanes – I’ve FINALLY got a copy of Lumberjanes through Prime reading. I’m a massive fan of Noelle Stevenson after reading Nimona, and can’t wait to read this.
I have a bunch of other graphic novels on my list as I really love them. I find them so much more accessible than books as they are easier to read and understand, with lots of visual aids to help with reading which I find this especially useful when trying to get through something which is non-fiction or complicated. Plus, they’re pretty and often created by diverse authors!
Do you have any graphic novels that you’re eagerly waiting to devour? Or have you read any of the ones of my list? I want to hear what ones you love (or really hate!)
One thought on “Top 10 Tuesday | Graphic Novels to read in 2017”
YEEEEES! I’ve been tempted by Palestine SO MANY TIMES in my local bookshop – I might just have to buy it because this is getting ridiculous! Looking forward to reading Lumberjanes on my Kindle too 🙂